Crispy outside with gooey cheese inside, this homemade Mexican favorite had our testers saying, “Hello, delicious!” Pair with Spanish rice or serve with chips and salsa for a restaurant-quality meal prepared in minutes. —Bridget Harrison, Cedar Hill, Missouri
Recommended: 40 Tex-Mex Recipes Bursting With Southwestern Flavor
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 Honey & Spice Baked Chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa con queso dip, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and microwave on high for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Spoon 1/3 cup off-center on each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold up edge nearest filling; fold in both sides and roll up. Secure with a toothpick.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Cook chimichangas until golden brown, turning to cook all sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Chimichangas in Simple & Delicious December/January 2012, p21
Reviews forChicken Chimichangas
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 29, 2012
"I found the filling a bit dry, thought it needed salsa, sour cream, or something else in there."
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2012
"WOW! Delicious: my family, including the kiddos loved these. I will make these again."