Cooking is one of my most enjoyable activities. This recipe came from trial and error, and now it's a family favorite. My husband loves taking the leftovers to work for lunch, and his co-workers always want him to share.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup mild or medium picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado and sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil on medium. Saute onion, green pepper and garlic until tender. Add chicken, tomatoes, beans, picante sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes. Ladle into soup bowls. Top with cheese, avocado and sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 263 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Chili in Country Extra January 1992
Feb 20, 2012
Excellent!! Very flavorful. My kids even gobbled it up. And if anyone is counting weight watchers points plus...it is 5 points per serving! I served this with Low Fat Cornbread. Very filling meal.
Oct 18, 2010
Quick and easy recipe.