- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended; stir in cilantro and chipotles. Transfer 2/3 cup marinade to a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for tossing with grilled chicken.
- Brush poblanos with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill peppers, covered, over high heat 8-10 minutes or until all sides are blistered and blackened, turning as needed. Immediately place peppers in a small bowl; let stand, covered, 20 minutes. Reduce grill temperature to medium heat.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade in bag. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Peel off and discard charred skin from peppers. Cut peppers lengthwise in half; carefully remove stems and seeds. Cut chicken into slices. Warm reserved marinade; add chicken and toss to coat.
- To assemble, place one pepper half in center of each tortilla; top with 1/2 cup chicken and 1/4 cup cheese. Fold tortillas in half over filling. Grill, covered, on medium heat 2-3 minutes on each side or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChicken-Chile Relleno Tacos
"Delicious and they have the perfect amount of kick. Will definitely make again but with chicken breasts next time. The thighs were delicious, but I like to trim fat off the meat prior to cooking and it just takes too long with thighs."
"Purely awesome! Marinade/sauce for chicken was divine. This was a tad time consuming and have to plan ahead, however, it is worth the effort. We just made an evening of it relaxing outside while we prepared it. Served with homemade pico, lettuce, salsa, sour cream and avocado. Pairs well with margaritas."