Chicken & Cheddar Mummy Braid
A hearty chicken filling is the spooky surprise inside this yummy mummy braid. Each slice is like a hot sandwich with flavors reminiscent of a classic pot pie. —Lily Rose, Ogden, Utah
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. For mummy eyes, cut two 1-in. circles and two 1/4-in. circles from pepper; chop remaining pepper for filling. Cut garlic crosswise into slices. Reserve two center slices for eyes; mince remaining garlic for filling.
- 2. Place chopped pepper and minced garlic in a bowl. Stir in chicken, cheese, peas, mayonnaise and seasonings.
- 3. Unroll both tubes of crescent dough onto a lightly floured 15x12-in. sheet of parchment paper. Press dough into a 15x12-in. rectangle, pressing perforations to seal. Spoon filling lengthwise down center third of rectangle.
- 4. On each long side, cut eight strips, about 3-1/2 in. into the center. Fold one strip from each side over filling, twisting each strip once. Repeat with remaining strips, leaving an opening at one end for mummy's face. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. pan.
- 5. For eyes, alternately stack pepper and garlic pieces and place in opening. Brush egg white over dough. Bake until golden brown and filling is heated through, 25-28 minutes.
1 slice: 289 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC