Hand-held and picnic friendly, these chicken-stuffed pockets pack a double dose of whole grains from brown rice and whole wheat pitas. The chicken can be made up to 2 days in advance for a fast-fix lunch. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 70 Summer Recipes to Pack in Your Picnic Basket
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Caesar vinaigrette
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, combine the first five ingredients; grind until mixture becomes fine. Rub over chicken.
- On a greased grill, cook chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-in. strips. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, romaine and rice. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss to coat. Serve in pitas. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Caesar Pitas in Healthy Cooking June/July 2012, p44
Reviews forChicken Caesar Pitas
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 27, 2012
"Great summer meal!! We added some shredded cheese and cooked the chicken on the stove instead of grilled. It was fabulous!-the whole family agrees."