Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, cut up and juice reserved
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine or water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Hot cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Dust chicken with flour. Season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil and butter over medium-high heat. Remove chicken to platter.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir the onion, celery, pepper and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, herbs, garlic and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Serve over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts4-1/2 ounce-weight: 517 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 4, 2018
this was really good, will make again, used on sale chicken thighs
Jan 24, 2018
This recipe is fabulous! The sauce has a great flavor! We served it with pan browned polenta slices, and put more of the sauce over it. I have used cut up chicken parts, and another time just legs. I am planning on making it again and freezing it too. Highly recommended.
Jan 7, 2018
Outstanding flavor!!! Used chicken breasts, and topped with Parmesan when serving it. A real keeper!
Jan 2, 2018
This recipe was my first try at chicken cacciatore and it was fantastic. I used chicken thighs and added 1/4 cup parmesan. The recipe was easy and we'll be having this at least once or trice monthly.
Sep 19, 2017
To answer jThundr2's question: Most, but not all, alcohol cooks away when you use wine in cooking. Instead, substitute apple juice in recipes calling for white wine, and substitute cranberry juice in those asking for red wine. Both add the depth of flavor that wine provides, but without the alcohol. Sorry, but I can't rate the Chicken Cacciatore because I haven't made it yet!
Sep 19, 2017
Excellent recipe. I made as printed except for using frozen chicken breasts which were flattened. My son who is very picky said it was wonderful and wants it again next week! The sauce had a wonderful tangy flavor. Just excellent.
Nov 29, 2016
Great meal to make ahead. I use chicken thighs and serve with mashed potatoes or soft polenta.
Jul 28, 2015
Fabulouso! Everyone enjoyed it immensely! I used chicken breast. Doubled the recipe for the sauce. Also used angel hair pasta.
Jul 12, 2015
Wonderful. Even my 9 year old grandson liked it and he is a picky eater. I just told him it was spaghetti.
Sep 12, 2013
Did not use dry red wine, I used 1 cup of water. Tasteless! Was very surprised after adding all those ingredients. Very disappointed.