Chicken Broccoli Chowder
I created this chowder after trying a similar version years ago. Oats give it a nice thick texture, and the blend of seasonings is absolutely wonderful.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 pound fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and return to a boil. Process oats in a blender or food processor until ground; gradually stir into soup. Stir in milk. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 171 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Broccoli Chowder in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.