Chicken Broccoli Chowder
I created this chowder after trying a similar version years ago. Oats give it a nice thick texture, and the blend of seasonings is absolutely wonderful.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 pound fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and return to a boil. Process oats in a blender or food processor until ground; gradually stir into soup. Stir in milk. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 171 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Broccoli Chowder in Country Chicken Cookbook