Chicken Bean Stew
Tired of more traditional beef stews? Give this recipe a try. Featuring chicken and beans, it's tasty, unique and chock-full of goodness, too.—Bean Education and Awareness Network, Scottsbluff, Nebraska
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) baked beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Add the chicken; cook and stir over medium heat until juices run clear, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 222 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Bean Stew in Country Woman January/February 2000