Chicken Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1. In a large kettle, cook chicken in water until tender. Cool broth and skim off fat. Bone the chicken and cut into bite-size pieces; return to kettle along with remaining ingredients. Simmer, covered, for at least 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 5 servings (about 1-1/2 qts.).
1 cup (calculated without salt): 333 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Chicken Barley Soup
"Full of spiced-up flavor. Roast chicken in soup formI I need to experiment more with the amount of barley. Also be aware that you will have to add liquid if you have any left over to reheat. My mom, sister and I all enjoyed this. I will definitely make it again when the weather turns chilly again."
"I came back to this recipe after making it two weeks ago. The broth really is delicious."
"This is one of the best recipes I have ever tried. This is absolutely delicious and very filling. I normally prefer the creamier soups so for this to hit a 5 star rating from me says a LOT about the quality."
"Delicious! The only thing extra that I added was 1/4 teaspoon of celery seed & 2 stalks of celery. My family loved it."
"My family and I loved it. Ty for the recipe. The only thing I did was to add chicken base. Very filling. Will make many more times."
"Loved it as is. I can also think of several ways to change it up. This is definitely a keeper."
"This has been one of our family's favorite soup recipes since it was first published. We have 6 children & all of them still ask for it, some make it for themselves now! I use 3 chicken breasts instead of the whole chicken because none of us cares for the dark meat of the chicken. Other than that, I follow the recipe--excellent!"