- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the water, tomato sauce, broth, tomatoes, barley, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes longer or until barley is tender.
1 cup: 179 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 very lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.