- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream, salsa and sliced green onions, optional
- Pound chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; set aside. In a shallow bowl, combine cornstarch, cumin, garlic powder, salt and cayenne. In another bowl, beat egg and water. Dip chicken into egg, then into the cornstarch mixture; coat with cornmeal. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil until golden brown on both sides. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; arrange avocado evenly on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with sour cream, salsa and green onions if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forChicken Avocado Melt
"I just made this. I double checked my measurements on the seasonings just to be sure I didn't make a mistake. This just tasted awful. Way to salty and the combination of the cumin and garlic powder did not go well at all. I just wasted some expensive chicken and now I have to figure out something else to make for supper. I think if you made this with just the cornstarch and cornmeal as a coating it would probably be pretty good. And usually I like spicy, but not this."
"We love this recipe but didn't care for the cooked avocado so we wait to top the chicken with the avocado when we serve it. One of our family's favorites!"