- 4 whole chicken breasts, split, skinned, boned and pounded thin
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups white onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Season pounded chicken breasts lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place 2-3 asparagus spears on each chicken breast half. Roll up tightly; secure with toothpicks, if necessary. Set aside.
- Combine flour, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and paprika. Roll chicken in this mixture. Place onions and tomatoes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, reserving 8 slices of each for top. Place chicken over vegetables; top with reserved onion and tomato slices. Combine broth with remaining salt and thyme; pour around chicken. Cover pan loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. Uncover and bake until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChicken/Asparagus Roll-Ups
"The combination of asparagus, cooked onions, tomato and chicken is fantastic!"
"A coworker gave me some fresh asparagus from their garden, so I decided to try this recipe. I liked that it was easy to make, healthy, and my husband said it "looked fancy"! Next time I make it I will probably add more garlic and add more pepper and seasonings and just skip the dipping in flour part."