Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 whole chicken breasts, split, skinned, boned and pounded thin
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups white onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Season pounded chicken breasts lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place 2-3 asparagus spears on each chicken breast half. Roll up tightly; secure with toothpicks, if necessary. Set aside.
- Combine flour, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and paprika. Roll chicken in this mixture. Place onions and tomatoes in a 13x9-in. baking dish, reserving 8 slices of each for top. Place chicken over vegetables; top with reserved onion and tomato slices. Combine broth with remaining salt and thyme; pour around chicken. Cover pan loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. Uncover and bake until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 102 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Aug 17, 2011
The combination of asparagus, cooked onions, tomato and chicken is fantastic!
May 11, 2011
A coworker gave me some fresh asparagus from their garden, so I decided to try this recipe. I liked that it was easy to make, healthy, and my husband said it "looked fancy"! Next time I make it I will probably add more garlic and add more pepper and seasonings and just skip the dipping in flour part.