Chicken and Wild Rice Bake Recipe
This recipe is a great example of Midwest food! Its ingredients, including the wild rice, can all be found in Minnesota. The dish is good for larger groups since the cook doesn't need to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. —Suzanne Greenslit, Merrifield, Minnesota
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimiento, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in rice and 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until kernels have puffed open, 45-50 minutes. Drain any excess water.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion 5 minutes. Stir in rice, chicken, pimiento, parsley, pepper, broth, cream and remaining salt.
- 3. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and almonds. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 50-60 minutes. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving: 332 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 809mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Chicken and Wild Rice Bake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC