Chicken and Vegetables
Red wine vinegar gives this comforting dish a little tang. It is a complete meal in one skillet. —Janet Briggs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 6 cups water
- 8 pearl onions
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 2 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves (12 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup quartered fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth,divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 small red potatoes, cut into halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings. In same skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil. Remove and set aside.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; saute until vegetables are tender. Add 1 cup broth, vinegar, potatoes, salt if desired, pepper and reserved onions. Return chicken to skillet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to serving bowls. To thicken sauce, combine flour and remaining chicken broth until smooth. Add to skillet. Bring to boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Garnish with bacon and parsley if desired.
Originally published as Skillet Chicken And Vegetables in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.