Chicken and Vegetables
Red wine vinegar gives this comforting dish a little tang. It is a complete meal in one skillet. —Janet Briggs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 6 cups water
- 8 pearl onions
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 2 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves (12 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup quartered fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth,divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 small red potatoes, cut into halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Discard drippings. In same skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil. Remove and set aside.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; saute until vegetables are tender. Add 1 cup broth, vinegar, potatoes, salt if desired, pepper and reserved onions. Return chicken to skillet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to serving bowls. To thicken sauce, combine flour and remaining chicken broth until smooth. Add to skillet. Bring to boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Garnish with bacon and parsley if desired.
Originally published as Skillet Chicken And Vegetables in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook