Chicken and Vegetable Rice Soup
Because the produce in this soup is pureed, you can easily get children to eat their vegetables...without knowing it! Kids of all ages will surely savor this classic soup.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours
Makes20 servings (5 quarts)
- 2 celery ribs with leaves
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 quarts water
- 2 pounds broiler/fryer chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 large onions, halved
- 3 reduced-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups cooked rice (prepared without added salt)
- Pepper to taste
- Cut vegetables into 2-in. pieces; place in a 5-qt. Dutch oven. Add the water, chicken, onions and bouillon. Bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain broth and skim fat. Remove chicken; cool. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set meat aside. Discard bones.
- Puree the vegetables and broth in a blender; strain. Return chicken and broth to Dutch oven. Stir in rice. Cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring occasionally. Season with pepper.