Because the produce in this soup is pureed, you can easily get children to eat their vegetables...without knowing it! Kids of all ages will surely savor this classic soup.
Recommended: Soup Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 celery ribs with leaves
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 quarts water
- 2 pounds broiler/fryer chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 large onions, halved
- 3 reduced-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups cooked rice (prepared without added salt)
- Pepper to taste
- Cut vegetables into 2-in. pieces; place in a 5-qt. Dutch oven. Add water, chicken, onions and bouillon. Bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Remove chicken and allow both broth and chicken to cool to lukewarm; skim fat. Puree the vegetables and broth in a blender; strain. Debone chicken and cut into chunks. Return chicken and broth to Dutch oven. Stir in rice. Cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring occasionally. Season with pepper. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Originally published as Harvest Chicken Rice Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p114