Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash cayenne
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until crisp-tender. Add the sausage, broth, tomatoes, green pepper, bay leaf, thyme and cayenne. Bring to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken and shrimp; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and rice is tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 386 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 158mg cholesterol, 986mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya
"I'm making this for dinner. I'm glad I started early, as it's been cooking for almost an hour & the "uncooked long grain rice" is still not done. Sure hope we can eat before bedtime!! I think the tomatoes (acid) is keeping the rice from becoming done."
"I made this for four people so I just doubled the recipe. I added 1 tablespoon of McCormick's Cajun Seasoning. I felt that it did not call for enough spice. I also used low salt chicken broth and salt free diced tomatoes. I threw in 2 packages of Success Rice. The did not use Johnsonville smoked sausage, but used store brand sweet sausage instead. This was a big hit with everyone. I will most definitely make it again and again. It was not overly spicy and did not need any added salt."
"This is a real keeper....very tasty. I did have to use more chicken broth (about another 1/2 cup) to get the rice cooked, and my husband would have liked a little more rice. Will definitely make again."