Chicken and Rice Skillet
My Cuban mother-in-law makes the best Arroz Con Pollo, but it is very time consuming. This is my quick, weeknight version of the dish she makes. —Jacqueline Correa, Landing, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender.
- Add rice and garlic; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Add the broth, tomatoes, water, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add chicken and peas; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 364 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Arroz Con Pollo in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.