Chicken and Pineapple Salad Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh gingerroot or 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- 5 pineapple slices, halved
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add the pineapple juice, broth, vinegar, soy sauce and oil until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss chicken with soy sauce and ginger. In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Combine the cucumber, onion, celery and chicken. Pour chilled sauce over chicken; toss to coat. Just before serving, line salad plates with lettuce if desired. Arrange chicken salad and pineapple over lettuce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup: 220 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.