Chicken and Pineapple Salad
"This salad takes a little time, but it is truly worth the few extra steps," writes Diane Sparrow, Osage, Iowa. "It has been a family favorite for years. It makes a nice summer lunch...or a fun first course for an Asian vegetable stir-fry."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium cucumber, quartered, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- 5 pineapple slices, halved
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add the pineapple juice, broth, vinegar, soy sauce and oil until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with soy sauce and ginger. In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Combine the cucumber, onion, celery and chicken.
- Pour chilled sauce over chicken; toss to coat. Just before serving, line salad plates with lettuce if desired. Arrange chicken salad and pineapple over lettuce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chicken and Pineapple Salad in Light & Tasty February/March 2005