- 1 stewing chicken (about 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 5 celery ribs, coarsely chopped, divided
- 4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped, divided
- 2 medium onions, quartered, divided
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped green pepper, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- In a large kettle, combine the chicken, water, broth, half of the celery, carrots, onions and green pepper, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Chop the remaining onion; set aside.
- Remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones and skin; set aside. Strain broth and skim fat; return broth to kettle. Add salt, chopped onion and remaining celery, carrots, green pepper and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add noodles and chicken. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forChicken and Noodle Soup
"This is my second time making this everyone loves it at my house!!!!???"
"great with crackers"
"The only thing I omitted was the green pepper...I also substituted some chicken broth for the water...All in all a good receipe,,"
"I'm not one for cooked celery or carrots but I loved this recipe. Husband agreed it's a keeper. It is a little time consuming but the flavor is well worth it."
"Made it 2 days ago and really enjoy it..Since this was my first time making this soup i was just a bit lost what to do with the vegetables i put in the begining 2 hours. i took them and threw them out and used the remaining that were set aside and threw them in as directed."
"This sounds good!!! I'm going to make this tonight for supper."