Chicken and Corn Medley
I usually make this in the summer when all the vegetables are fresh from our garden, My family loves the "zip" in this dish...I like the fact that they're getting a wholesome meal.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups seeded chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked noodles or rice, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil until chicken is no longer pink; remove and set aside. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Toss mushrooms with lemon juice. Add mushroom mixture to the skillet; cook and stir for 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, mustard, basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, remaining salt and pepper and chicken. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, tomatoes and green pepper; simmer for 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with noodles or rice if desired.
Originally published as Chicken and Corn Medley in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.