- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, cumin and salt in 1 tablespoon oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine the refried beans and tomatoes; spread 1 cup into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with 24 tortilla strips; layer with half of the corn, bean mixture, chicken and cheese. Repeat layers.
- Using remaining tortilla strips, make a lattice crust over filling; brush with remaining oil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately or, before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forChicken and Cheddar Tortilla Bake
"This wasn't anything special.....maybe using fresh tomatoes like one reader did, and homemade refried beans, etc. would improve the taste, but what we could taste mostly was canned items and there were some chunks of chicken throughout. All the ingredients are good in other things, but they just didn't come together in this. One thing I liked was the tortillas on top....I brushed them well with oil and they were nice and crispy."
"I loved it! I used fresh tomatoes, regular canned corn, and added a can of diced chiles. I also used 1/2 cheddar and 1/2 pepper jack. Mu husband loved it too and we usually don't agree on the same foods!Definately going to become a family favorite"
"Although I love all of its ingredients, this casserole was very unimpressive. It didn't have very much flavor which I found surprising and the tortilla layer was just a gooey mess. Couldn't even swallow leftovers down the next day. Will not be making again."
"Delicious and even better as leftovers. My husband asks for it constantly!"