Chicken and Brussels Sprouts Salad in a Jar
This combo of flavors and textures sent in by Lindsay Tanner from Cathedral City, California, was too good not to share. Make our version for a gourmet lunch on the go. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 3/4 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, optional
- 1/2 cup fresh goat cheese, optional
- 4 cups torn romaine
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat; add Brussels sprouts. Cook until browned and tender, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Add shallots; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in vinegar, sugar and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid has reduced, 5-7 minutes. Cool.
- In each of four 1-qt. wide-mouth canning jars, divide and layer ingredients in the following order: vinaigrette, Brussels sprout mixture, chicken, red peppers, pistachios, tomatoes, cranberries and goat cheese if desired, and romaine. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Transfer salads into bowls; toss to combine.
Lindsay Tanner from Cathedral City, California sent us a great recipe for Chicken & Brussels Sprouts Salad