The subtle taste of Swiss cheese and the seasonings used in this recipe blend together so well that they seem to suit most anybody's taste.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded thin
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 6 to 12 spears fresh broccoli, blanched
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a skillet, brown chicken breasts in oil on one side. On each unbrowned side, place 1 pieces of Swiss cheese and 1 to 2 spears of broccoli. Roll up (secure with a toothpick if desired); set aside. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour and stir to make a smooth paste. Gradually add broth and milk; stir until thick. Add basil, celery salt and pepper. Place half of the sauce in the bottom of greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Place chicken rolls over sauce. Cover with remaining sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken and Broccoli Roll-ups in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p55