- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Pour 1/3 cup each into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup cheese sauce, chicken, broccoli, eggs, bread crumbs, pimientos, parsley and salt if desired. Spread about 1/2 cup over each noodle. Roll up jelly-roll style, beginning with a short side; secure ends with toothpicks. Place six roll-ups curly end down in each baking dish. Top with remaining cheese sauce.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake second casserole at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer. Discard the toothpicks before serving. Yield: 2 casseroles (3 servings each).
Reviews forChicken and Broccoli Lasagna Rolls
"I cut the entire recipe in half, and made it exactly as written (except the pimentos...I didn't want them). IT WAS AMAZING!!! The only thing I noticed is that the outside of the shells got a little tough in the oven, but it is soooo good, I will be adding this to my PERMANENT KEEP list!"
"Following this recipe was a DISASTER! Before rolling the noodles over the mixture, I knew immediately that the filling was going to slide out the sides. There isn't anything in the mixture to make it stick together. After attempting the 2nd roll, I GAVE UP! I threw all the mixture back into a bowl & wrapped the noodles in plastic. I put it all in the fridge, fixed myself an "adult" beverage, cleaned up the MESS, and ate peanut butter crackers for dinner! Due to the expense of the ingredients I decided not throw it all down the sink. Today, I am going to grate a ton of cheese to ADD to the MIXTURE. I am also going to make another batch of sauce ( there definitely is not enough sauce following the recipe). I am going to eliminate the "rolling" & prepare the normal way of making a lasagna by doing in layers & laying the noodles flat. ALSO, several reviews mentioned the mixture being BLAND. I decided to eliminate the pimentos & used diced sun dried tomatoes instead."
"It looked pretty in the picture but our family thought it was flavorless."
"This was better than I had anticipated, based on my tasting of the filling as I was assembling it. As others said, this took a LONG time to make. And it does need the optional salt. I really like the concept and would like to use it with a better filling. The sauce was good though."
"It was good, but it took too long to prepare. Probably because I used fresh broccoli (and steamed it) and fresh bread crumbs (that I dried)."
"You may be a bit confused why I gave this 4 stars and then say I won't make it again. The taste was 4 stars - good, BUT the prep time of 20 minutes is soooooo misleading. Luckily I am not a novice cook and I thoroughly looked at this recipe before I started it. The prep time of 20 minutes (which is still too short) is after the chicken is cooked and cut up AND after the noodles are cooked and drained. Total prep time with these items was a little over an hour. Just FYI. The only reason this recipe is worth all of this is it makes 2 dinners!"
"I would try this again, as I didn't have problems rolling the lasagne, but it did seem a bit dry, so I'd like to experiment by not adding as many bread crumbs, may only 1/4 c. instead of 3/4 c., and by adding some cream cheese to the sauce. Also, a cream sauce poured over the whole thing after baking would help. I liked the whole concept, just needs some "sauce"!"
"This was hard to roll, I will make it again with cream of mushroom and as a lasagna not the roll."
"I agree that this was WAY too much work for such a flavorless, dull, disappointing meal."
"This turned out flavorless and a little dry. If you are going to make it, definitely add the salt, although it is optional. Even with the salt, not that good."