- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken strips
- Additional cilantro, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the beans, corn, red pepper and onions; set aside.
- Arrange romaine on individual plates; top with bean mixture and chicken. Drizzle with dressing; garnish with cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forChicken and Black Bean Salad
"Made as stated except for the corn and onions. Used a can of whole kernel drained and garlic chives for the green onions. I did however chop the red pepper instead of making strips because that way you had some in every mouthful. The next time I made this recipe, I substituted turkey for the chicken and that was just as good!"
"I make this salad with red beans just because that is what I have on hand.I really do like barley but that just doesn't work well with this recipe.I make a complete meal deal out of this recipe as my Hubby isn't wild about it so I don't do it very often.I add meat to all my meals and chicken is wonderful especially in salads and sandwichs.I buy the whole chicken already cooked,peel off the skin (sonetimes)and chop it up the white meat for the salad.I will add the whole canned beans instead of the black beans but sometimes I will cook up a batch of raw beans and freeze them,then add some of them to the salad.Anyway this makes a light dinner and both Hubby and I are trying to lose weight so this is a very good recipe."
"Very nice salad. I think I am going to leave out the sugar next time and see if it makes a big difference in the taste."
"The very best for a light summer dish! We have served it several times for guests and haven't heard anything but praise yet. We add extra dressing - love the lime and cilantro!"
"A summer standard here at our house and my husband's favorite summer dish! Even the kids like it!"
"Like a gourmet meal"
"I'll be making this again this weekend, very good flavor, I make 1 1/2 times the recipe for the dressing and I sub. kidney beans for the mexicorn, and I'm thinking of using brown rice for some of the torn romaine, other than that it's perfect. thanks Cindie for the recipe."
"This is a great recipe as is; however, I've modified it a bit to make it even faster and easier.Instead of making my own dressing, I simply drizzle the salad with light Italian dressing which also makes the list of ingredients much shorter. Overall, it's very tasty, economical, healthy and easy to make. Great!"
"Forgot to click the stars!!"