"This recipe looks fussy but doesn't take long to assemble...plus it gives me time to put my feet up and read the paper while it bakes," says Gail Cory-Betz of Newport, Washington. "It's nice with just a salad and some fruit."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- Dash poultry seasoning
- Dash onion powder
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 teaspoon beaten egg; stir remaining egg into buttermilk. Add to crumb mixture; stir until dough forms a ball.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times or until smooth. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion to fit the bottom of a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Place in dish.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, bouillon, poultry seasoning and onion powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the chicken, vegetables and cottage cheese. Pour into baking dish.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of dish; place over filling. Brush with reserved egg. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Biscuit Bake in Taste of Home June/July 2005, p56