- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (about 3 pounds each), cut up and skinned
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In an 8-qt. kettle or Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil. Remove chicken and set aside. Drain. In the same kettle, combine the broth, rice, barley, onion, bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the carrots, beans and celery. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the chicken and grains are tender. Remover bay leaves before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forChicken and Barley Boiled Dinner
"As mentioned previously, all recipes I have saved always, always an either **5 or greater** rating, this one no exception. Since we are empty nesters, I make only **half** recipe."