Chicken and Barley Boiled Dinner
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (about 3 pounds each), cut up and skin removed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In an Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil. Remove chicken and set aside. Drain. In the same kettle, combine the broth, rice, barley, onion, bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Stir in the carrots, beans and celery. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until grains are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 422 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1655mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 9, 2013
As mentioned previously, all recipes I have saved always, always an either **5 or greater** rating, this one no exception. Since we are empty nesters, I make only **half** recipe.