Chicken and Barley Boiled Dinner
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (about 3 pounds each), cut up and skin removed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In an Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil. Remove chicken and set aside. Drain. In the same kettle, combine the broth, rice, barley, onion, bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Stir in the carrots, beans and celery. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until grains are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 422 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1655mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.
Jun 9, 2013
As mentioned previously, all recipes I have saved always, always an either **5 or greater** rating, this one no exception. Since we are empty nesters, I make only **half** recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.