Chicken and Barley Boiled Dinner
I began putting this meal-in-one on my table because it’s a nutritious way to satisfy the big appetites in my family. For a hearty home-style dinner, it’s surprisingly easy to prepare. That’s especially nice when I don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. —Susan Greeley, Morril, Maine
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (about 3 pounds each), cut up and skin removed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In an Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil. Remove chicken and set aside. Drain. In the same kettle, combine the broth, rice, barley, onion, bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Stir in the carrots, beans and celery. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until grains are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 467 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 1424mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as Chicken and Barley Boiled Dinner in Taste of Home February/March 1995
Jun 9, 2013
As mentioned previously, all recipes I have saved always, always an either **5 or greater** rating, this one no exception. Since we are empty nesters, I make only **half** recipe.