The original recipe for this chowder called for ground beef. One day I decided to use chicken instead. Everyone agreed they liked it even better. You're sure to enjoy it, too.
Recommended: Our Best Bacon Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender. Add potatoes, broth and carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Chicken and Bacon Chowder in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p35
Reviews forChicken and Bacon Chowder
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review