- 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine potatoes and water. Microwave, covered, on high for 10-12 minutes or just until tender. Cool slightly; drain.
- Transfer potatoes to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add chicken, vegetables, garlic, bay leaves and 1 teaspoon pepper. Pour broth and wine over chicken and vegetables. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° and potatoes are tender. Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil.
- Strain cooking juices, reserving potatoes and cooking juices; discard remaining vegetables and bay leaves. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with cream cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and enough cooking juices to reach desired consistency; keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in 1 cup cooking juices, milk and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Discard remaining cooking juices. Slice chicken; serve with potatoes, gravy and, if desired, chives. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forChicken, Smashed Potatoes & Gravy
"The potatoes in this dish are delicious, but after only 3 hours my chicken was a little dry. I'm glad I made the gravy for it, but that could have used a little more flavor."