- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups uncooked wide noodles
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth; discard bay leaf and peppercorns. Skim fat. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return chicken and broth to pan. Add noodles, vegetables, rice and parsley; bring to a simmer.
- For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, thyme and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto simmering soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes (do not lift the cover). Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Reviews forChicken 'n' Dumpling Soup
"I enjoyed this recipe, I did omit the rice, I aded more noodles and dumplings. The next time I make this I will not use thyme in the dumplings, I just don't prefer the taste of time, I may try sage or rosemary. It was a good and comforting soup!"
"boneless chic-cubed add chic broth season your favorite spices- lots of chop onion+garlic lots of sage simmer 30 min. add ANNE's Dumplings from frozen dept. in grocery store -Last simmer about 5 min till dumplings are done..dress it up with sliced boiled eggs,chop parsley and lot of black pepper ---(the sage is what makes this )"
"i have a shorter way"