- 1 pound broccoli rabe
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound diced pancetta or 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken stock
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed, shredded
- Cooked cheese tortellini
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Cut 1/2 in. off ends of broccoli rabe; trim woody stems. Coarsely chop stems and leaves; add to boiling water. Cook, uncovered, just until crisp-tender, 1-2 minutes. Drain; sprinkle with nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- In same Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add pancetta; cook until brown and crisp, 4-5 minutes. Add onion and remaining salt and pepper; cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute more. Add next six ingredients and broccoli rabe; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Add chicken; heat through.
- To serve, spoon tortellini into individual bowls; pour soup into bowls. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forChicken, Broccoli Rabe Soup with Tortellini
"This soup has such a nice depth of flavor! I loved the spicy addition of nutmeg to the broth. In place of cheese tortellini, I used sweet Italian sausage stuffed tortellini. The bacon took awhile to crisp in my dutch oven, so I browned it in a separate pan. This dish is a bit time consuming, but the taste is amazing!"