- 5-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups cubed rotisserie chicken
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic; cook and stir 45 seconds. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Add broth, milk, thyme, lemon peel, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Stir in chicken and peas; heat through. Stir in noodles and cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake 8-10 minutes or until top is browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChicken & Swiss Casserole
"Yum! This was easy to assemble and using rotisserie chicken was a time saver. I liked that it did not include canned soup. The only change I made was using green onions in place of shallots. I may try it with broccoli next time because my husband isn't a big fan of peas, but he enjoyed this peas and all. I will make this again."
"I made this recipe today! I'd used 3 scallions, chopped. The amounts of shredded Swiss cheese and chicken broth I'd reduced since I did not have the FULL amounts. The rotisserie chicken I did not have available, so I used grilled cooked chicken from my supermarket salad bar to equal 5-1/2 cups which I'd cubed when making this dish. I baked 30 minutes until heated through. Great recipe and delicious taste! "Volunteer Field Editor""