Chicken & Sweet Potato Potpie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 skinned rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-in. size)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in sweet potato, red pepper and celery; cook 5 minutes longer. Add 1/4 cup broth. Reduce heat; cook, covered, over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add milk and remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken, sherry and seasonings. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stack all five sheets of phyllo dough. Roll up lengthwise; cut crosswise into 1/2-in.-wide strips. In a bowl, toss strips to separate; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Place on an ungreased baking sheet; spritz again. Bake until golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Arrange over chicken mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 329 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 27, 2017
This was good but seemed to be lacking slightly in flavour. I would forego the phyllo dough altogether as it didn't really add much to the final dish. Great idea to use rotisserie chicken and sweet potato though.
Sep 13, 2016
This was good but the sauce could have been a tad thicker.
Aug 29, 2016
I made this dish in individual ramekins. The best thing about this recipe is the topping. The phyllo strips are great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.