Chicken & Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (4 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tomatoes, pesto, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cover and process until blended; set aside. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, chicken and reserved tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 4. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. In a large ovenproof skillet, layer half of the squash, chicken mixture and reserved crumb mixture. Repeat layers.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 348 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Chicken & Spaghetti Squash
"First time user of Spaghetti Squash and glad to have run across this recipe! Liked by all"
"This recipe was a BIG hit! And it's even better the next day, so make lots!!! We really liked this. My husband is not normally a big fan of spaghetti squash, but he said this recipe is a keeper! I guess we'll be planting spaghetti squash in our garden this year!"
"I doubled this recipe for my family of 6 and they devoured it! The best casserole I've made by far! My kids didn't even realize they were eating squash!!!"
"This was delicious I used ro-tel for the tomatoes. And the Spaghetti squash fresh out of the garden.Even my super picky 9yr old cleaned his plate and said it was yummy and I was the best cook.."
"This was delicious. Followed advice from others, drained spaghetti squash, added diced zucchini . I used Italian diced tomatoes, doubled the sauce recipe, and 1 1/2 lbs of diced chicken. My husband likes a lot of meat and sauce. I would make this again and may add carrots next time."
"Very good and easy to prepare."
"Perfect! I just discovered spaghetti squash and this recipe really hit the spot."
"I used the tip on draining the squash and texture is perfect. I never have pesto on hand so I use a cilantro,garlic, oil paste instead. This is one of my family favorites....even my 2 year old likes it!"
"This recipe is a real keeper. My entire family loved it!"
"Delicious! I used one of the reviewers tips to drain the squash. It was not runny and came out perfect!"
"This was much better than eating spaghetti squash only with sauce! We used precooked, coated chicken strips & grated Parmesan cheese. It was not watery. Could have used more sauce, though."
"@ sirsingalot...whenever using spaghetti squash, ALWAYS place shredded squash directly into a colander & allow it to drain before using/eating. Otherwise you will have a watery outcome!"
"This was ok for me but I found it a bit watery. Definitely needed more salt or hot pepper flakes to kick it up a notch. First experience with Spaghetti Squash, but will work with it again sometime. I didn't have shredded Parmesan so I substituted grated mozzarella cheese. Maybe that made a difference, I don't know. Any suggestions on how to fix this to make it better and did anyone else have a "watery" problem?"
"Everyone loved it. I added in more vegetables: diced carrots, zuchinni, asparagus along with the mushrooms and onion. A great one-dish meal! Will make this again."
"I love this recipe because you can build from it with what is available in the kitchen. Made it with some leftover chicken one time. Very good."
"This was great! All the flavors melded in perfectly. My husband was hesitant at first to try, but was pleasantly surprised afterward. We only added a bit of salt to suit our taste, but is still great as-is (and healthier w/out salt!)."
"I made this for my family a week ago and then for a potluck support with Church friends. It was a smashing hit at both! I very highly recommend this recipe. I don't think you will be disapppointed."