Chicken & Cheese Noodle Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti, broken
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onions and peppers in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, soups, sour cream, celery salt and pepper.
- Drain spaghetti; add to sauce mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake as directed, increasing covered time to 40 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 509 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 691mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Jun 4, 2018
Just made this tonight and it is a keeper!! Only change I made was eliminated green pepper and added mushrooms!!! I believe this is cooking at it’s best!!
Jun 1, 2018
Adding canned soup to miscellaneous ingredients is not cooking.
May 31, 2018
I cut the recipe in half, used a 12-oz. can of chicken breast, combo cream of mushroom & chicken soup, a sliced celery rib but no celery salt, and sprinkled crushed potato chips on top. I baked it uncovered the entire time. Instant favorite!!! Love it!!
Feb 21, 2018
This recipe looked like a winner from the very beginning and then when I saw it came from someone from Bluffton I knew I had to try it! I'm from Bluffton also! This was very good! but I did two cans of cream of chicken and a lot of black pepper Thanks for the great recipe!
Feb 21, 2018
My teenage son claims this is his favorite food on this planet. Sometimes I use canned chicken, which has its own broth, so I pour the broth into a container to freeze for soup. I had some dehydrated red & green bell peppers to use up, so I tried mixing them into the sauce and it was great. One of my kids detests "slimy" mushrooms, so I use a strainer on the cream of mushroom and push it through with the back of a large spoon and scrape the mushroom-pieces-free soup off the outside of the strainer. I use a huge Tupperware bowl to mix it all in; using an extra large mixing spatula handles the task well. I freeze half of it in a glass 9 x 13 casserole, seal it with Glad Press and Seal, then cover with foil and tape the instructions and date to the top.
Feb 16, 2018
It looks marvelous!!
Feb 16, 2018
This was an easy comforting recipe.I used cream of chicken and cream of celery instead of cream if mushroom otherwise made as written. Superbandmom if you want to submit a recipe then do it and quite treading on someone else’s
Feb 16, 2018
Yes, home made noodles would make this better. Mine are PA Dutch type, using my mother's recipe. 1 cup flour, 1 beaten egg, dash of salt, 1/2 egg shell of water. mix, knead, then roll out to desired thickness and let air dry for a while on a floured surface, like a clean pastry cloth. When they start to crack around the edges, cut into large squares (5x5), stack up and slice. I like mine about 1/8 inch wide. Fluff up the pile of noodles and dry a little longer. These can be used right away or frozen for later. The drying makes them a bit more chewy than if you use them without drying. Yummy-
Nov 29, 2017
4.5 stars. Made almost as written, I did change the spaghetti to whole wheat and the cheddar to Parmesan. Also added some chopped celery. As usual, I added spices to add more flavor: garlic and onion powders, celery seed, oregano, basil. I just realized that I forgot the sour cream! Oh well, it didn't need it, it tasted great without the extra fat and calories. I would make this again.
Nov 17, 2017
Wonderful recipe! so good! you can adjust it to your likes! I used green onions and canned chicken . Everyone loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.