- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 12 Italian rolls, split
- 1 jar (16 ounces) giardiniera, drained
- Cut roast in half; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a food processor, combine the mushrooms, carrots, onion, garlic and oregano. Cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to slow cooker. Combine beef broth and base; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat and shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef on buns; top with giardiniera. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forChicago-Style Beef Sandwiches
"While I can't speak to the authenticity of this recipe (having only had the "authentic" version a couple of times), my husband and I found this recipe really YUMMY! Would definitely recommend! :)"
"Mile High Shredded beef is much better!"
"This was a big hit! Very good and easy! Don't even need the Giardiniera, but it was good with the meat. I forgot the buns but nobody seemed to mind. Will make it again the next time we have family in from out of town. It was gone before the end of the evening."
"Also Chicago style sandwiches are NEVER shredded."
"I think you've been away from Chicago too long. We never made them like this."
"For those who want to make their own "Giardiniera" here a quickie. This is one that the more time the goodies sit together, the better it gets.http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/homemade-hot-giardiniera-recipe/index.html"