Chewy Spice Bars
I first sampled these bars when a student's mother brought them in for a party at the school where I taught. I enjoyed them so much I had to get the recipe.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup cornflakes
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 141 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chewy Spice Bars in Best of Country Cookies