Chewy Spice Bars
I first sampled these bars when a student's mother brought them in for a party at the school where I taught. I enjoyed them so much I had to get the recipe.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup cornflakes
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 141 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chewy Spice Bars in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.