- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place raisins in a bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews forChewy Raisin Molasses Cookies
"I've been using this exact recipe since the late 1960's. The recipe was on a well-known brand's box of raisins. Everyone loves this very flavorful chewy cookie. The molasses truly are the secret ingredient."
"Have made these several times!They ARE GREAT! One of my Favorites!"