Chewy Peanut Butter Chip Bars
"These yummy bars are great for lunches and bake sales, yet use only ordinary kitchen staples," remarks Beverly Swihart of Marion, Ohio.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
Makes2 to 2-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) peanut butter chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with marshmallows return to oven just until marshmallows begin to puff, about 2 minutes. Cool. Meanwhile, combine corn syrup, butter, chips and vanilla in a large saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in cereal and peanuts. Evenly spread warm topping over marshmallow layer. Refrigerate until set.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 232 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chewy Peanut Butter Bars in Taste of Home August/September 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.