Chewy Peanut Bars
Kids will gobble up these chewy peanut-packed treats made with two kinds of crunchy cereal. "The sweet coating contrasts nicely with the salty nuts to make these bars a family favorite," comments Diane Eitreim of Garretson, South Dakota. "They travel well, too."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 5 cups cornflakes
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine corn syrup, butter, cream and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage).
- Pour over cereal mixture and toss to coat. Pat into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cool before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 166 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chewy Peanut Bars in Quick Cooking July/August 1998
Jul 13, 2013
Extremely disappointed in this recipe. It didn't stay together at all. All it tasted like was a pile of soggy, sweet cereal. What a waste of cereal, peanuts, and coconut.