Chewy Peanut Bars
Kids will gobble up these chewy peanut-packed treats made with two kinds of crunchy cereal. "The sweet coating contrasts nicely with the salty nuts to make these bars a family favorite," comments Diane Eitreim of Garretson, South Dakota. "They travel well, too."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 5 cups cornflakes
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine corn syrup, butter, cream and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage).
- Pour over cereal mixture and toss to coat. Pat into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cool before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 166 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jul 13, 2013
Extremely disappointed in this recipe. It didn't stay together at all. All it tasted like was a pile of soggy, sweet cereal. What a waste of cereal, peanuts, and coconut.