Chewy Date Torte
Mother used to make this dessert only once each year, for Christmas dinner. When I was a child, this torte seemed like the very best food in the world, and it was so difficult to wait a whole year for it. When I grew up and became a mother, I decided to change that—today, I make Chewy Date Torte not only at Christmas, but at Thanksgiving and other special occasions as well. For variety, I sometimes add a cup of chopped apples to the recipe. It is every bit as tasty!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Whipped cream
- Additional chopped nuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Gradually add sugar, beating until thoroughly combined. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into bowl. Add milk, butter and vanilla; stir just until combined. Stir in dates and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the torte tests done. Cool. Cut into squares; top with whipped cream and additional nuts if desired.