- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix and brown sugar. Add butter and eggs; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Combine dates and walnuts; stir into batter (the batter will be stiff).
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around sides of pan to loosen; cool completely before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forChewy Date Nut Bars
"Dusted the cooled bars with confectioners' sugar. These were so good!"
"These were super easy and really tasty. I slightly over baked them but they were still great."
"Surprisingly good. Not the most attractive bar but the flavor is really good. I have used a spice cake mix as is or a yellow or white cake mix with the addition of cinnamon. Most and chewy but the 36 servings is way off unless you are serving a 1/2 in square. Perhaps baking them in a cookie sheet would be better so not as thick and more servings but don't over bake. These also freeze well. Even hubby liked them."
"New family favorite. Love the texture and flavor of these bars. I added a bit of salt and some vanilla. Try to make them ahead of time if you are taking these to a pot luck or a party, as they just keep getting better and better . . . at least for the couple of days they lasted around here! I wish I had another right now. Thanks for sharing."
"Made just as the recipe said. Very simple, and very good! This recipe is a keeper, and a new favorite for my husband and I. Thank you for sharing!"
"my husband loves these too. I add 50% more dates & also the zest of a lemon and an orange to them. I also bake them for 17-18 minutes, then take them out for 15, then put them back in till done. it's a trick I learned from Alton Brown (he recommends it for baking brownies) that makes them to die for. we like them warmed up with coffee or tea. Delightful <3"