Chewy Coconut Cookies
—Nick Robeson, Casper, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the banana and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 80 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Nick's Very Own Banana-Coconut Cookies in Simple & Delicious March/April 2006