Chewy Chip Bars
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 4-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Stir in chips.
- Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; cut into bars. Cool completely in the pan.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 160 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 25, 2013
I think maybe melting the butter would work better with these bars. With the butter just softened, I found that they did not hold together well enough and fell apart as soon as I cut them. I think I'll stick with another granola bar recipe I have in my files.
Nov 2, 2013
This is a nice, easy bar cookie. It comes together quickly and is popular for potlucks and gatherings. I like to sometimes vary by using peanut butter chips instead of the chocolate or butterscotch.
Jan 19, 2013
my children love these bars and they do freeze well. They are always baked and sent with them to university.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.