Chewy Almond Nougat
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min. + cooling
Makesabout 5-1/2 pounds
- 3 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- ALMOND MIXURE:
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heavily butter a 15x10x1-in. pan; set aside. Heavily butter a large bowl; set aside. In a stand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture cones to a boil, about 10 minutes. (If sugar crystals are present, cover and boil for 1-2 minutes to allow steam to wash crystals down.) Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft ball stage), about 6-8 minutes.
- With mixer running carefully and slowly add hot liquid in a steady stream over egg whites. Beat 10 minutes longer or until mixture holds its shape and is lukewarm. (Mixture will be beginning to lose its gloss.) Transfer to prepared bowl.
- For almond mixture, in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil, about 15 minutes. (If sugar crystals are present, cover and boil for 1-2 minutes to allow steam to wash crystals down.) With a clean spoon, cook and stir over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer reads 275° (soft-crack stage), about 15 minutes longer.
- Pour over mixture in bowl (do not scrape saucepan). With a large wooden spoon, stir until blended. Combine butter and vanilla; gradually add to almond mixture until blended. Stir in almonds and salt until blended. Transfer to prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature for several hours or until firm. Cut into squares. Wrap in plastic or waxed paper if desired.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 23, 2015
What is the shelf life?
Sep 21, 2013
Nov 4, 2012
Bit of a process but well worth it. Nice and chewy, a great nougat recipie.
Dec 10, 2010
I really enjoyed making this candy. The taste reminds me of a certain candy bar I loved when I was a child......only easier to chew! Be sure to toast your almond slivers as it really does add flavor and texture. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will definitely make again.
Jan 10, 2008
When do you add these ingredients?3 cups slivered almonds, toasted1 teaspoon salt