Chevron Ornament Cookies
My crispy, buttery cookie is playful and elegant. It’s so much fun to make the chevron pattern in the dough. After it’s rolled out, I like to use an old-fashioned ornament cookie cutter, but try any pretty shape. —Taste of Home, Aria Thornton, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon paste food coloring
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half; add desired food coloring to one portion (or different colors to each portion). Shape into two 9x4-in. rectangles 1 in. thick; freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut rectangles crosswise into 1/8-in. slices. Create two new rectangles by stacking alternate-colored slices side by side, brushing water between slices so they adhere. Trim off any uneven dough. Roll portions between two pieces of waxed paper to 1/2-in. thickness; freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. With a sharp knife, cut rectangles diagonally into 1/2-in. slices. To form chevron pattern, turn every other slice upside down, brushing water between slices so they adhere. Roll between sheets of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness.
- Cut with desired cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Cool 1-2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 269 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chevron Ornament Cookie in Ultimate Cookie Swap Bookazine 2017